Sunday, March 12, 2006

Fleece Artist sock yarn

"It's not a sock yarn kind of shop!" was told to me by the clerk working at Urban Yarns today. Heh! I pointed out the Fleece Artist merino sock yarn. "Oh, that's a kit...." Huh!? I thought they had a pretty okay selection of sock yarns...Regia, etc. The basic stuff that you can find in any other LYS. Once I saw the FA yarns, that was it. Game over for all the other sock yarns.

To describe a skein of yarn and badly written instructions as a sock kit is pushing it. Don't get me wrong...I love the yarn! All my favourite colours! But there was no gauge given in the instructions, other than what size needles. The sizes of the socks did not tell you the measurements. No yardage. No weight. I didn't care. It felt like about 100gms...which was what I was looking for. It did give a needle size so that helped.

The clerk did try hard to convince me that I really should follow the pattern that came with the kit. I think that was sweet of her but I had my heart set on Pomatomus from Knitty.

Oh, and the rest of the day was spent wandering around Granville Island, lunch at the Watermark on Kits beach. The food was pretty good but the place was a bit drafty! The weather was gorgeous and we had a window table overlooking the beach.

I picked up some more silk fibre at the Weaving Studio. A couple of bags of Tussah silk, a bag of silk/camel, and a skein of silk chennille and some nubbly silk. I was hoping to find some of the new silk blends (silk/linen & silk/seacell) but they only had the dyed skeins. No worries, I picked up a couple of the mini skeins to experiment with.

When I got home, I discovered I already had 5 bags of Tussah silk, 2 bags of silk/camel, and 3 bags of cultivated silk in my stash. I probably knew that. But it didn't stop me from picking up a few more bags. My domestic enabler (aka hubby) thinks I'm worried that these people will go out of business if I didn't buy constantly.

Of course, I had to cast on and knit a bit as soon as I got home...just to see what the colours would look like.

(I'm relieved to know it's not me but the camera. I used the tripod for these and they're still fuzzy. This camera doesn't do close-ups.)

1 comment:

  1. OMG! That's the exact same thing they told me a few months ago! I hate that. It's only because none of them have a clue about sock knitting. They're not "real" knitters! :)

    ReplyDelete