Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Basic Hat Pattern


So far, all the hats are made from top down.

Using the Emily Ocker method, cast on 8 stitches. I didn't bother with a crochet hook and knit them directly on my circulars.

Round 1: Knit
Round 2: *K1, M1* repeat to end of round.
Round 3: Knit
Repeat the two rows but instead of K1 on the next round, you K2, etc. until hat is the right circumferenc. Knit plain until hat is long enough. Rib 2X2 for about 2" (or however long you want your ribbing).

Bind off prep row: K2, YO, P2, YO, etc to end.
Bind off: K2, pass 1st stitch over, slip YO, pass 2nd stitch over, etc. I like this bind-off because it gives me a nice stretchy bind-off without changing to larger needles.

Edited to add: The bind-off is done like a regular bind-off except for the yarn overs. They are not knitted but slipped and the previous stitch is passed over. This is a great bind-off for toe up socks.

That's basically the HAT. You can change colours anytime, do different colour patterns, stitch patterns, etc.

I like to cast on 8 because the subsequent increases will give me just the right number for 2x2 ribbing. I don't have to count and keep track of my increases this way.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting bindoff. I'll have to try that on my next Dulaan hat. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete