Friday, January 04, 2008

Placemats are finished...

...sort of...

I've finished weaving them and have taken them off the loom. I still haven't decided if they will be used as placemats or made into a bag. I'm leaning towards a bag. The placemats are really kind of ugly. The edges are uneven and there are missed threads on the back that I didn't noticed until I passed the point of no return. With knitting, if you made a mistake, you can rip back or drop stitches and reknit to fix things. Can you do that with weaving?

Still, it was fun and I did learn a lot.

I went to Place des Arts to wind another warp but didn't bring enough yarn. I have to go back on Saturday & finish. Don't ask what I'm making next because I'm not sure myself. I just wanted to weave something the whole width of the loom just to see what it will look like. And I wanted to use the reed I cleaned up. The Kauni wool I'm using will be perfect for this. If I don't like it, I can felt it and make another bag.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:02 am

    You can undo weaving, but it's a royal pain, requiring a great deal of attention, and IMHO may not lead to an improved product, just different flaws. You may pass the shuttle wrong in a different place as you undo, it may leave the warp uneven, and I'm sure there are other possibilities. Good luck.
    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:06 pm

    Hi

    Yes you can unweave. If you are having problems with tension then it is really likely you will have errors as your shed will be erratic. When I have a tempermental warp I pay a lot of attention to the finished product as I go along to catch my errors.
    Cheers Amber

    ReplyDelete