Saturday, July 01, 2006

Knitting News and Happy Canada Day!

I love knitting lace and especially lace shawls. I don't wear them so they are usually packed away and eventually given away as gifts. Sometimes it may take months and even years before a shawl is finally "gifted".

The Wedding Shawl/Afghan is NOT done. In my deepest heart, I think I knew it was not meant to be. Especially after restarting it for the 4523rd time. This is something I should take a bit more time with. It will be a shame to rush through this and come up with something less than what I wanted. Besides, my family kindly pointed out it may not be something my cousin and her new husband would want and it's not something that they can return to a store if it's not to their liking. I really don't know them well enough to make them something. Does it sound like I'm trying to justify this? Heh! I am.

With this realization, I decided to re-do the border. I changed the pattern and used a larger needle size. I think I'm liking this one.

The pattern repeats every 15 rows. I was thinking of 20 repeats before turning the corners. That would give me 300 inside stitches. I'll have to adjust the snowflake pattern a bit.


Madli Shawl

The Madli Shawl (Interweave Press Summer 2004) is completed! I'm quite pleased with it.





The wool is from a Polworth fleece that I wash, carded, and spun myself. There is something special in looking at the finished product and thinking - Wow! I made that! I REALLY made that from start to finish! Short of raising the sheep myself, I REALLY, REALLY made it all!!

It's a cool feeling. :D

Finished measurements: 64" x 21" blocked
Fibre: Raw Polworth from Penelope Fibres.
Weight: 107gms
WIP: 28-30 wpi - The spinning was not as consistent as it should be.
Needles: 4mm circular

The pictures should have been taken against a different background but the painters will be here shortly to powerwash the house. Didn't have time.



Happy Canada Day! I'm off to watch the World Cup Quarter Finals - England and Portugal. It should be a really good game.

*click on the pictures for larger pics.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that Madli shawl is amazing! Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Madli shawl is beautiful! It's even more fabulous since you spun the yarn yourself. If I was to knit with what I spun, it would look like a total disaster! Congrats on finishing it. Your eventual giftee is lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:11 am

    Congratulations Lavender - You have created a genuine work of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:45 pm

    Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! You must be incredibly proud of this piece :)

    Amy in BC (Canspinner)

    ReplyDelete