Sunday, May 17, 2015

Winsor & Newton Bristol Watercolour Easel

I've been wanting a lightweight painting easel for a while now. Most of what I've seen are the heavy wooden ones. I wanted a small tripod style easel that I can fit into my backpack, easy to set up and take apart. I looked up on the Internet and found a lot of do-it-yourself ones. Love the Internet. Then Opus had the Winsor & Newton Bristol watercolour easel on sale. $60 instead of $100. I can't make one for that price. I read up on the reviews for this easel and for the most part, it's been favourable. People don't seem to like that one of the bars holding the paper needed to be screwed on and it was awkward.  People were saying the screw can easily pop out of your hand and easily lost out in the field.

My solution was to fill the top of the screw with super strong crazy glue and a small jump ring. I used a hook from an old lanyard with a swivel clip and tied it to the hole at top of the bar.

I would recommend sanding the top of the screw lightly with steel wool first and let the glue dry for a couple of days just to be sure. I didn't do that the first time and the ring fell off.  After sanding and letting it sit two days to completely dry, it's working great.
Add caption

1 comment: